Source Credit : Portfolio Prints
Standard Chartered will cut more than 7,000 jobs over the next four years as the bank accelerates its use of artificial intelligence to streamline operations and boost profitability.
The London-based lender said on Tuesday that AI and automation would play a central role in reshaping its workforce, making it one of the most prominent global banks to openly link large-scale job reductions to the adoption of new technology.
As part of its latest strategy overhaul, Standard Chartered plans to reduce 15% of corporate function roles by 2030. Based on Reuters calculations, that equates to more than 7,000 positions from a workforce of roughly 52,000 employees in those divisions. The bank employs nearly 82,000 people globally.
CEO Bill Winters said the move was less about traditional cost-cutting and more about shifting resources toward technology and long-term investment.
“It’s not cost-cutting. It’s replacing, in some cases, lower-value human capital with the financial capital and investment capital we’re putting in,” Winters told reporters.
He added that many of the cuts would come through automation and AI-driven efficiencies, while affected employees would be offered opportunities to retrain and transition into new roles.
The reductions are expected to hit back-office operations the hardest, particularly in major service hubs such as Chennai, Bengaluru, Kuala Lumpur and Warsaw.
Standard Chartered’s restructuring comes as banks worldwide race to integrate advanced AI systems while controlling costs and defending against growing cybersecurity threats. Earlier this year, Mizuho Financial Group announced plans to cut up to 5,000 jobs over the next decade as part of its own automation push.
The bank also unveiled more ambitious profitability targets, forecasting a return on tangible equity (ROTE) above 15% by 2028 and around 18% by 2030. The strategy will focus heavily on higher-margin businesses, including affluent retail banking clients and financial institutions within its corporate and investment banking division.
Investors reacted cautiously to the announcement. Despite Standard Chartered shares rising 65% over the past year, the stock slipped 0.5% in early London trading as analysts described the bank’s new targets as relatively conservative given current market conditions.
Ed Firth, an analyst at Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, warned that maintaining momentum could become harder amid economic uncertainty and weakening global growth.
The lender is also navigating growing geopolitical risks across its core markets in Asia and Africa. Analysts have warned that a prolonged conflict involving Iran could force Asia-Pacific banks to raise loan-loss provisions as higher energy prices and slower economic growth pressure borrowers.
Standard Chartered disclosed that it set aside $190 million in precautionary provisions related to Middle East tensions during the first quarter.
“We are extremely resilient,” Winters said when asked whether geopolitical instability could threaten the bank’s long-term targets.
The update also sought to calm speculation over leadership succession after Winters’ 11-year tenure at the helm. The CEO indicated he intends to remain in the role for the next several years to oversee the bank’s latest transformation strategy.
Separately, the bank confirmed the appointment of Manus Costello as permanent chief financial officer, replacing Diego De Giorgi, who stepped down earlier this year.